Time to Think About Healthy Habits for the Summer!
The warm weather, abundant sunshine and weekly trips to the farmer’s market all point to the arrival of one thing- summer! Often associated with fun outdoor family events and weekends at the beach, Summer is also an excellent time for us to reevaluate our lifestyle and incorporate some healthy habits into our daily routine so that we can look and feel our best. With just a few small changes every day, we can achieve that healthy glow just in time for Summer!
- Stay Hydrated: Water is essential in maintaining our everyday metabolic functions, to help your body perform its best by frequently hydrating. By helping your body cool off, staying hydrated prevents you from experiencing heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Stick with still or sparkling water, as fruit juices and sweetened soft drinks contain empty calories and excess sugar. Add flavor to your water with a spritz of fresh lemon or lime or some sliced cucumbers with fresh mint!
- Visit the Farmer’s Market: Taking a trip to the local farmer’s market is an excellent way to shop for the freshest produce that’s in season and to support your local community. Friendly and welcoming, the vendors are always looking to talk to you about their products and different ways you can prepare them. For a list of local farmer’s markets, visit:
- Eat a Rainbow Everyday: In the summer, there is an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables that are in season. Take advantage of this seasonal produce and incorporate colorful fruits and veggies into your diet. Not only does eating a variety of fruits and veggies contribute more nutrients, but it makes eating more fun and enjoyable.
- Plan for Later: Planning out your meals for the day, or even the week, is a great way to incorporate a variety of seasonal, wholesome foods into your diet and avoid overindulging, especially in the summer. If you know you will be attending a summer soiree in the evening, try packing lighter meals for the day so that you aren’t saving all your calories for the party and going there ravenous.
- Get Moving: If the summer heat is what’s holding you back from exercising, try morning workouts to increase your productivity or even a brisk evening walk. Don’t forget to include strength training exercises in addition to cardio to build-up muscle and endurance.
- Explore the Outdoors: There’s no better time to explore what nature has to offer than during summer. Instead of staying indoors, take a hike on nearby trails, walk to your local park, take a walk on the boardwalk at the beach, or bike around your neighborhood- great ways to incorporate exercise while enjoying the great outdoors.
Summer offers us wonderful opportunities to make healthy changes to our lifestyle that can make a big difference.